8.06.2011

I Love Lucy's Ancestors

Hollywood Blvd mural Lucille Ball AAUGUST 6, 1911
The super-fantastic Google doodle celebrating Lucille Ball's 100th birthday was a great way to start my day. The doodle leads to a link in Wikipedia with some interesting tidbits about her family history and I lost about an hour of my day zipping around the interwebs, tracking down Lucy's New England ancestors. The most interesting article I found is from the Chautauqua County GenWeb site, Some Ancestral Remains of Lucille Ball by Lois Barris, and touches on 19th century "poor houses".

And that, not surprisingly, set me on a different course for the day.

The Poorhouse Story
Good resource for learning about the circumstances that brought our ancestors to these institutions, but unfortunately for hard core searchers the actual censuses have been removed.

No comments:

Post a Comment